Se você sente que seu sono está piorando à medida que sua gravidez progride e anda acordando cansada, você pode ter Apneia do Sono, uma condição que pode se desenvolver durante a gravidez.
Specialists believe that, due to women’s weight gain during pregnancy, there is an association between the latter and worsening of apnea, especially after the 6th month. Nose membranes also swell as blood vessels dilate throughout these nine months. One of the main recommendations aimed at preventing or solving this problem is weight control.
Many see snoring during pregnancy as a transient event that does not require treatment. Likewise, physicians and patients might attribute daytime tiredness to ‘being pregnant’ instead of having sleep apnea. Thus, pregnant women end up not being referred to an experienced sleep physician who can diagnose her disorder.
Sleep apnea symptoms in pregnant women include:
- Loud and persistent snoring.
- Asfixia ou respiração ofegante devido à falta de ar e sono agitado;
- Pauses in breathing during sleep (apnea).
- Morning headaches.
- Daytime sleepiness.
- Lack of concentration and irritability.
- Em longo prazo e sem tratamento podemos ter hipertensão arterial, diabetes gestacional, infartos, insuficiência cardíaca.
Snoring is the main symptom of sleep apnea. However, it is important to remember that snoring is not always due to this disorder. Snoring occurs more often in pregnant women, mainly in the third trimester. The causes for this include:
- Pregnancy-specific hormone changes, as progesterone (necessary for uterine contractions until delivery) relaxes airways muscles, increasing their likelihood to collapse or narrow down, which leads to snoring
- Pregnancy-specific weight gain.
- Other sleep disturbances (restless legs, more frequent nighttime urination).
In pregnancy, sleep apnea might lead to many complications for both mother and fetus, including but not limited to:
- Low birth weight.
- Premature birth.
- Mother at risk for developing pre-eclampsia.
- Mother at risk for developing gestational diabetes. High blood sugar puts her at risk for developing heart diseases.
O diagnóstico da apneia obstrutiva do sono é simples é necessário. O Exame do Sono Biologix é uma polissonografia (tipo IV), que pode ser feito em casa, utilizando apenas um celular e um sensor compacto e sem fios. Dessa forma é realizado sem alterar a rotina de sono do paciente. Na hora de dormir, basta colocar o sensor no dedo e iniciar o exame no App Biologix. Ao acordar basta clicar em concluir exame para receber o resultado imediatamente.
Pregnancy seems to be a good time to screen for undiagnosed sleep apnea. Pregnant women who have more than one of the above-mentioned symptoms should see their physician, who will diagnose and start treating apnea adequately.
DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this blog aims at assisting you in your education and is not intended to be construed in any manner as medical advice. Only physicians and dentists can diagnose diseases and prescribe treatments and medication. Thank you for visiting our website..